[EM] CORRECTING Black box voting repost re how HAVA imploded

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Thu Feb 1 20:46:33 PST 2007

Here's a data point on scanners:
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=93888&catGroupId=13856&surfModel=KV-S3105C
100 page scans per minute with 1000 page feeder, $1300. Definitely not
bad.

Then it's just a simple matter of writing good OCR software to read the
ballots. I could do that, though it's not as simple as getting a human to
read the ballot and punch numbers on a keyboard. Oh, but here's a group of
people trying to do basically all this already:
http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/

Optical scan equipment is in wide use from many vendors including the
infamous Diebold.

Rivest pointed out in his discussion of 3-ballot that posting actual
images of ballots is bad because it allows for covert channels of
information which destroy secrecy. Some thug can instruct you to make such
and such mark astray on your ballot, then look for it to make sure you
voted the way he told you to (or paid you to).

The primary good cause used as justification for HAVA, the Help Americans
Vote Act, is to allow disabled (blind, quadruplegic, etc) people to vote
with only the help of the machine. I think the tradeoffs and costs of that
good cause as its being implemented are winding up being really bad.
Perhaps the evil lead the good down the road to hell by paving it with
good intentions.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/