[EM] Juho's example

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Fri Feb 23 14:46:23 PST 2007

The first things that stands out about Juho’s example is the fact that there
is no majority preferring B to C. So one could ask in what way it is a
problem for C to win instead of B.

C is the favorite of only one voter? We don’t claim to be choosing the
winner by Plurality. Condorcet chooses compromise winners too, compromise
winners who don’t have much 1st place support. Ask any IRVist.

B is CW? Why? With the help of that  insignificant number who consider C the
best. They (s/he)  made B the CW, and it isn’t unfair if they can unmake
that CW-ship if they want to. So not only is B not majority-supported
against C, but B isn’t CW independent of the C voter_.

No one here advocates Plurality as the voting system. When you look at that
winner in terms of Plurality, it looks awful. But, more fairly, let’s
estimate SU, by the sincere Borda scores. Then you’ll find that C has more
than half as much estimated SU as B has.

Now, I must admit that I have no idea why those B voters ranked C in 2nd
place. But, if we may make a fair guess, we can guess that they (somehow?!)
felt that they might need C as compromise, in case B doesn’t win. In other
words, they were ok with C winning instead of B. C winning instead of B is
not unheard of or unacceptable to those voters. In fact it was not even
unplanned or unintended by them.

Along with gross misjudgement about compromise-need on the part of the B
voters, C won by betrayal,. Betrayal of the B voters who were trying to help
C. As I always say at this point, I hope that makes you proud of yourself.

Had the B voters, more realistically, not ranked C, that outcome couldn’t
have happened.

To summarize, I don’t find a problem in Juho’s example. If it’s the best bad
-example that can be found for wv in comparison to margins, then it amounts
to a testimonial and a tribute to wv, and is accepted as such. <smiley>

Mike Ossipoff