[EM] CW & SU

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Thu Feb 22 22:14:56 PST 2007

Ok, sure, it’s obvious (when my claim is challenged)  that, though a
candidate at the voter median is the CW, it’s plausible that the CW needn’t
be at the voter median: Suppose no candidate is at the voter median. Might
not a candidate who is much closer (in some sense) to the voter median than
any other candidate is be the CW?

And if the CW isn’t at the voter median point, it’s possible to suggest a
scenario in which s/he doesn’t maximize SU: Maybe, though most voters are
closer to X than to Y, those who are closer to X are far away, but those who
are closer to Y precisely share Y’s position in issue-space. So, though X is
preferred to Y by a majority, Y has more SU than X does.

But, with just one issue-dimension, when X is preferred to Y by more voters
than prefer Y to X, I couldn’t make Y have more SU than X. Even if all those
preferring Y to X share Y’s position, while those preferring X to Y are far
away.

I could be worthwhile to find out if the CW can fail to maximize SU when
there are more dimensions and candidates, and what that would take--what
kind of voter-distribution it would take. Could it happen if the voters are
normally distributed in each dimension, for instance?

Maybe Warren’s authors (you know, the ones he says have their heads up their
ass) have answered that question. If Warren has their books or papers, and
if they answer that question, and if their answer isn’t unfavorable to
Warren’s position, maybe he’ll tell us their h.u.t.a. answer. <smiley>

In any case, though, if the a candidate at the voter median point is CW, and
if, with city block distance, a candidate at the voter median point
maximizes SU (as I’ve demonstrated here a few days ago), then at least that
means that there’s some connection between CW and SU maximization. And  if
the candidates tend to thickly populate the region of the voter median, as
will probably be the case, that could make it more difficult for a candidate
away from the voter median point to be CW.

The fact that the CW might not be at the voter median isn’t quite so bad
when you consider that there might not even be a CW. At least one can say
that, in spatial voting, the wv Condorcet methods will tend to do well by
SU, even if one can’t make the stronger guarantee that I wanted to make.

Mike Ossipoff