[EM] Conversations with Jo-Ann Q. Public

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Tue Feb 20 08:45:01 PST 2007

I've had yet another completely unfavorable reaction to Approval from a
member of the public. Members of the public seem to universally oppose
Approval.

And, in every instance, there's no such thing as explaining to them why
Approval isn’t as bad as they think it is.

For instance, in this most recent conversation, as in the previous ones, I
pointed out that, in Approval, contrary to popular belief, everyone casts
equally many votes. If you mark a candidate, that’s a “Yes” vote. If you
don’t mark a candidate, that’s a “No” vote. To put it numerically, for
purposes of count, marking a candidate is a positive point assignment, and
not marking a candidate is a negative point assignment. In spite of how it
looks on the ballot, therefore, the voting is really symmetrical, with
everyone giving every candidate a positive or negative point.

So, if there are 10 candidates, and I mark 6, and you mark 1, I’m not having
more voting power than you are! We’re both voting on all the candidates.

It went in one ear and out the other. Every time, with every member of the
public.

This time I pointed out to Jo-Ann (not her real name) that, even if you
define a “voting power” that can differ among voters, defining it as your
opportunity to improve your expectation by your vote,, and fairness calls
for that opportunity to be the same for everyone, then it can be
mathematically shown that 1-vote Plurality can be considerably more unfair,
with considerably more unequal voting power, than Approval can.

When that didn’t help, I wrote out the demonstration, and took her through
it. Her answer? “People don’t like complication.” So much for showing which
method is more unfair.

I told her what Approval’s big advantage is: We always hear that if you vote
for Nader you’re hurting Kerry (or Hillary?). It’s the big reason why so
many voters resent Nader from running. Apparently it’s unethical and selfish
for an honest person to enter the race, if it will take votes away from a
crooked sleaze. That problem is eliminated by Approval, because you can vote
for Kerry, and still show support for Nader. That just elicited a repetition
of her initial objections, as if all that I’d said hadn’t  been said.

I then asked if RV seems as bad as Approval. At first she said no, but later
she said that it has the same problem when used for choosing an
officeholder, as opposed to just showing popularity.

I then asked her if rank-balloting has that problem--letting people indicate
their first choice, and their 2nd choice, etc. She said maybe not, but
there’s no point in it, and that it wouldn’t have helped in Florida, 2000.

I said that, in Florida 2000, if the Nader voters had ranked Nader first,
and Kerry in 2nd place, they’d still be voting Kerry over Bush, and helping
Kerry against Bush  She replied that it doen’t make sense. “This is
America.!We have a right to elections that  have a vote for only one
person!” Apparently I was perceived as trying to take away her American
rights. (Not an exact quote, except for the “This is America” part, but
probably close). So let’s not have any of those un-American efforts to take
away the good old American one-and-only vote for the best candidate? As I
said, that’s what I’ve universally found when asking members of the public
about Approval or other improved voting systems.

RV wasn’t rejected as strongly as Approval. And rank-balloting maybe even
less strongly--mostly it’s perceived as pointless and unnecessary. Since the
best rank methods can offer more than Approval or RV, maybe rank methods are
the best way to go.

Approval  accepted by the public? Kiss it off.

Mike Ossipoff