[EM] A Voter's Eye View

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Feb 14 18:03:57 PST 2007

Trying to sort out methods as they may be praised or cursed by voters.

Write-in candidates:  Is there some non-candidate that a significant
number of voters (including myself) agree should be voted for via write-in?
        I will assume such in what follows, and OBJECT if the method does
not support such.

Lousy lists of candidates:  Do I object to all the candidates offered,
enough that I would like to express my displeasure?  There could be a
special ballot provision for this, but it could always be a topic for
write-ins, and more effective if all those unhappy can agree on a symbol
such as 'NOTA' for this purpose.

At this point I would know what method is offered but, for discussion
purposes, we proceed as if I could control the method.

Make up an ordered list of candidates to vote for, such that rank or
rating codes could be added to the list.

If anti-truncation rules would demand extra labor on my part, object to
the rules.
        While some descriptions of RV say truncating assigns such
candidates the minimum possible rating, others discourage truncating by
assigning such candidates a medium rating.

If my list is a single name, Plurality would be adequate, as would any
method that does not involve significant extra labor.  Note:
        There are many races that do not deserve more effort, even for
serious voters.
        There are many voters who are not prepared to go farther, even for
serious races.

Would Approval fill my need?  If so, then so would Condorcet or RV.

Do I see multiple levels of attractiveness among the candidates such as
A=best and B=best, C=good and D=good, E=tolerable if A/B/C/D all lose:
Condorcet can do this.  RV also, but requires more effort to do ratings
than ranks.  IRV would have trouble with equal ranks.

Are there Primaries or runoffs?
       Plurality NEEDS Primaries to avoid having multiple related
candidates competing.  While other methods may also use
primaries, primaries provide less value for them.
       Plurality NEEDS runoffs because they help in recovering from some
spoiler problems.  Methods that give the voter a better opportunity to
express their wants get less benefit from runoffs.
            Top-2 runoffs are a particular problem because, if they are ever
needed, there is the possibility of the best candidate losing as third
(the French talked of riots when this happened).
            For true ties, flipping a coin is as good and cheaper.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.