[EM] forms of "equality" and "efficiency"

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Tue Feb 6 15:43:56 PST 2007

Dear EM folks!

I thought some while about "equality" and "efficiency" as a basic
principles of voting. It seems that both terms can mean quite different
things that we should perhaps try to distinguish. First, there is
"formal equality" (=anonymity), "equality of outcomes", "equality of
expected outcomes", and "equality of power". On the efficiency side,
there is "total utility efficiency", "social welfare efficiency",
"Condorcet efficiency" and so on.

To start a discussion, I have divised a simple example which I use to
distinguish these kinds of equality and efficiency, and which therefore
also leads to quite different results under various voting methods. At
the end of this post, I also present a new method designed to provide
both "equality of power" and some sort of efficiency.

[please read with a monospaced font!]

Example preferences:
--------------------               mean utility
1 voter  A> > > > > >C>G|E>T>M>B   26/7=3.7
1 voter  B> > > >M>T>G| >E> >C>A   33/7=4.7
1 voter  C>T> >G>M> | > >E> >B>A   40/7=5.7
         | |   | | | | | | | | |
utility 11 10  8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

(> designates a utility gap of 1,
 | shows the approval cutoff under above-mean strategy)

Analysis:
---------
               Approval  Borda  median   total    Gini social
option  beats  score     score  utility  utility  welfare
C       all    2         12 !   5        17       31/9
T       ABEMG  2         11     6        18 !     38/9
G       ABEM   3 !       11     5        17       43/9 !
M       ABE    2          9     7 !      15       33/9
E       AB     0          7     3         9       27/9
B       A      1          7     1        12       14/9
A       -      1          6     0        11       11/9

C is both the Borda and the beats-all (Condorcet) winner.
The beats are transitively C>T>G>M>E>B>A.

M maximizes median utility.

T maximizes total utility.

G maximizes Gini social welfare (=expected minimum utility of two
randomly drawn ballots) and is the Approval winner with above-mean
approval strategies. In a more realistic scenario, the third voter would
rather approve of C and T only since that would change the Approval
winning set to {C,T,G}.

If we want equal utilities for all voters, we must elect E.

If we want equal expected utilities for all voters, one solution is to
elect A,M,E with probabilities 6/s,11/s,(s-17)/s, for some arbitrary
s>=17. (There also exist other solutions with three possible winners.)

If we give each voter equal voting power, i.e. let her distribute 1/3 of
the winning probability, the winner is A,B,C each with probability 1/3.
For the B and C voters, it would increase their expected utility when
they gave their probability share of 2/3 all to M rather two B and C.
However, under Random Ballot, this is a prisoner's dilemma since, given
the other's strategy, it is always best to vote sincerely A or B instead
of M. Therefore, such a cooperation won't probably occurr with Random
Ballot. In this respect, Random Ballot is quite inefficient in terms of
total utility and/or social welfare.

A method providing both "equality of power" and efficiency:

The latter observation is the reason why I studied more cooperative
variants of Random Ballot for a while. The variant I consider best at
this moment is  the simple "Draw Two / Most Approved Compromise" (D2MAC).

In D2MAC, each voter marks one option as "favourite", and marks as "also
approved" any number of additional options she considers promising
compromise options. Then two ballots are drawn at random (with
replacement). The winner is the most approved option of those options
which are marked on both ballots (if any such exist), or else the option
marked as "favourite" on the first ballot. In this way, each voter can
be sure that her share of the probability goes to one of the options she
marked, and only goes to a non-favourite if many other voters approved
of her compromise options as well. Hence voters can cooperate safely to
transfer probability to good compromise options.

In our above example, the B and C voters can safely mark A or B as
"favourite" and M as "also approved", thereby changing the winning
probabilities to 1/3 A, 4/9 M, 1/9 B, 1/9 C. (M wins iff both of the two
ballots drawn at random are different from the first ballot.) If only
one of the two voters approves of M, the probabilities remain 1/3 A,B,C,
hence no prisoner's dilemma occurs in this case with D2MAC.

Jobst