[EM] Then what's wrong with Random-Ballot?

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Mon Feb 5 21:23:29 PST 2007

You know, I really hate to show my ignorance like this, because there must
be something that I'm missing.

If you're willing to accept a random method, a method that doesn't have one
definite result for a particular set of ballots, then what's wrong with the
strategy-free Random-Ballot?

Le Blanc, you said that you wanted something that revealed people's ranked
preferences. But why? They're needed in deterministic methods, where they're
how we provide for compromise in the event that our favorite doesn't win. Is
RB really missing something when it doesn't show our ranked preferences?

Random-Ballot is so much simpler than Hay Voting, that it seems that RB
would be the way to go if we want to get rid of strategy with a random
method.

Mike Ossipoff