[EM] Minmax under-representaton causes small-bias

Michael Ossipoff mikeo2106 at msn.com
Fri Feb 2 04:50:31 PST 2007

Brian--

The small states are the ones whose s/q is most greatly affected by rounding
up, or by not rounding up. So it would usually be a small state that has the
lowest s/q due to not rounding up. So if we minimize the greatrest
under-representation,  as good as that goal sounds, the result is that we
preferentially round-up the smaller states. We make systematic small-bias.

Webster puts each state as close as possible to a seat per quota. WW, CW &
AR put each cycle as close as possible to 1 seat per quota overall. All this
is with the goal of equal representation (or representation expectation) for
everyone, as nearly as possible.

So I’m sticking with CW, AR, WW and W. They meet one of your standards,
don’t they?

By the way, when Webster puts each state as close as possible to 1 seat per
quota, it also automatically ensures that no pair of states could be any
closer in s/q than it already is.

Webster  has no intrinsic bias. And it will test unbiased,  by empirical
tests, if the frequency distribution is flat.  Webster can be improved on by
methods that equalize s/q even  without flat distribution. That’s what CW,
AR, & WW are for.

But, as I said, there’s a good case for saying that the
_distribution-caused_ measured bias, when Webster is used, isn’t unfair in
the sense that _method-caused_ measured bias is unfair.

Mike Ossipoff