[Election-Methods] cycles for: rcv ala tournament

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Dec 30 19:34:48 PST 2007

We say "rcv", claiming that the IRV backers have done well in promoting
"almost" what we want to sell - we are basically agreed on ballots, but go
our own ways on counting votes.

We can brag that in most races simply counting the votes gives us a clear
winner.

Then we get to cycles, and have no end of arguments as to how to respond.
  To restart that debate I offer:
      Write-ins have to be handle able, for any race in which they are
permitted (this is simply a demand that the arrays have to tolerate
attending to write-ins whenever they discover existence of such).
      Resolution has to start with the full district array, without going
back toward ballot data.
      Resolution has to be defend able as a reasonable response to the
nature of the cycle.  This is the tricky part.
      Resolution has to be simple and understandable.

Learn a bit:
CONDORCET'S METHOD of rank-balloting by Mike Ossipoff
      http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/condor2.html

Examples For CONDORCET'S METHOD by Mike Ossipoff
      http://www.barnsdle.demon.co.uk/vote/conexp.htm

What next?

DWK

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:52:29 -0800 rob brown wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2007 3:57 PM, Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr
> <mailto:stepjak at yahoo.fr>> wrote:
>
> If I had my way, all the condorcet advocates would hold a vote, and then
> all get behind the method that wins.  Well, let's say the first one that
> is a condorcet winner.

> It is my opinion that all condorcet methods are imperfect, but that
> plurality is so much worse, and so much more used, that a better use of
> my own time is debating condorcet vs. plurality rather than condorcet
> vs. condorcet.
>
> If I have to debate against the range people, so be it, but that is
> mostly because because I think the effect of the range advocates is
> actually to keep the status quo.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.