[Election-Methods] rcv ala tournament

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sat Dec 29 19:52:29 PST 2007

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:23:38 -0800 CLAY SHENTRUP wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2007 1:40 AM, Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>>i don't know why we're still talking about ranked methods in this
>>>day and age.
>>
>>Simply since many if not most experts seem to feel that they are good
>>if not best (for typical political single-winner elections).
>

> well, they're not.  and most of the experts i'm aware of (e.g.
> smith,brams) are aware of this.
>

>>This mail stream is about joining forces in defending all the good methods.

Proper goal is finding one we can agree to promote - sounding impractical
to agree on and therefore unlikely to succeed.

> well, "good" is relative.  combining utility efficiency with
> simplicity/practicality, range and approval are unparalled.  so why
> would we want to spend time defending worse and/or more complex
> methods?

Your enthusiasm for Approval continues to puzzle.  How could many voters
find its inability to give backing to more than one, while flagging one as
best, acceptable?

As to Range, I simply note my preference for Condorcet.

>>I have no problem in forming also a joint team for
>>supporting both rating and ranking based methods. But in this case
>>I'd like to make it clear for what purpose and environment each
>>method is good for.
>

> i do not know of any environment where rankings are better than ratings.

>>As a general rule I'd recommend
>>all voters to use votes of same strength (one man one vote is a good
>>basic rule in competitive democratic decision making).
>

> that is a bad recommendation, since it implies condorcet voting (the
> only method where every voter has the same strength), which is nowhere
> near as utilitarian as range voting.

Debatable.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.