[Election-Methods] RE : IRV as "contingency" method - still can be viewed as unequal treatement of voters

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Dec 27 13:41:10 PST 2007

Warren,

--- Warren Smith <wds at math.temple.edu> a écrit :
> In my opinion a case can be made that IRV is unconstituional.
> I'm not necessarily agreeing with that, but I think it has some validity.

In my opinion you could find that a failure of virtually any criterion is
unconstitutional. That's why I don't think this is a promising way to try
to defeat methods we don't like. I think it's mostly dangerous.

How certain are you that a judicial decision finding IRV to be illegal,
wouldn't simultaneously pose a problem or two for Range?

I say we had best not give the referees invitations to ban all our methods.

Kevin Venzke