[Election-Methods] Fwd: FYI - FairVote MN Responds to Lawsuit Against IRV

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 19:16:20 PST 2007

Thanks Dave,

I think I understand Condorcet now and what the = signs are for, and I
like Condorcet and see no immediate drawbacks to its tabulation method
like I do to the IRV tabulation method.

I would urge that we get a handle on ensuring that our vote counts are
accurate prior to using any but the simple one vote per one winner
system though because our system is hopelessly wide-open to undetected
outcome-determinative tampering and miscount now.  I know of no other
major industry that is not subjected to any scientific independent
auditing.

You guys might be happy to know that we're developing election
auditing calculations that handle multi-candidate/multi-winner races.

The most updated, correct, and simple explanation of the mathematics
of calculating election auditing sample sizes is here:

Mandatory Post-Election Vote Count Audits
http://electionarchive.org/ucvAnalysis/US/paper-audits/UT/MandatoryVoteCountAudits.ppt

and a smaller pdf version of the powerpoint presentation:
http://electionarchive.org/ucvAnalysis/US/paper-audits/UT/VoteCountAudits.pdf

Thanks for the lesson on Condorcet.  Is this system in use anywhere yet?

Kathy