[Election-Methods] RE : Re: IRV ballot is at least as fair as FPTP ballot

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Dec 26 18:15:33 PST 2007

James,

--- James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk> a écrit :
> As I have said
> before, and in other EM threads, the preferences recorded on an IRV
> ballot are CONTINGENCY choices.  It would be a great help to all
> these discussions if both proponents and opponents of IRV would recognise
> this historical fact.

It doesn't seem to me that one would need to understand the mentality or
history behind an election method in order to judge it against other
methods. It isn't really "the thought that counts" with election methods.

Maybe pointing out IRV's strategy advantages (i.e. lower preferences are
"contingency choices") would paint a broader picture about IRV, but the
fact that e.g. Dave Ketchum doesn't value these advantages, doesn't in my
mind undermine his criticisms...

Kevin Venzke