[Election-Methods] a story for christmas

rob brown rob at karmatics.com
Wed Dec 26 15:30:26 PST 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 2:33 PM, Paul Kislanko <jpkislanko at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> The whole idea that a locksmith would minimize his own utility to maxmize
> the landlord's is so far off the credibility scale that it is not worth
> considering

So I guess you are with me then, in that we shouldn't expect people to do
things that are against their own interests?  Cool, glad to have some
support on that.

Of course, you are more hard-core than me.  I claim that relying on
non-self-interest is a bad idea, and only over time do people become selfish
if the system rewards them strongly for being so.  You say that every
individual must be solely motivated by self interest, period, with not even
a single exception being possible.

You are more in my corner than I am!

I just figured the locksmith had gotten high and listened to John Lennon's
"Imagine."  Or maybe he was the brother of the owner, and was doing it as a
favor, and didn't want the extra business.

Or.....I just figured that people reading the story wouldn't really be
concerned about the locksmiths motives, considering them irrelevant....
since worrying about that would be actively trying to miss the point, and
people don't do that.  Oh, wait....