[Election-Methods] a story for christmas

rob brown rob at karmatics.com
Wed Dec 26 14:11:42 PST 2007

On Dec 26, 2007 1:38 PM, Juho <juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Ok, probably the guild was right in maintaining citizens' trust on the
> system. People may do whatever they wish with their apartments but
> locksmiths should gain trust by staying neutral.

Well, I don't mind a bit if my locksmith is non-neutral on the side of
paranoia.  That's their job to be paranoid and distrusting.

I think that a good attitude for a locksmith to have is "It's a dog eat dog
world out there -- everyone's out to take your stuff and manipulate things
to their advantage." Good attitude for voting system designers too.

As soon as they start talking about how people are generally more
trustworthy and good and non-selfish than I might think, they've lost my
trust.  Both locksmiths and voting system designers are in the business of
enforcing fairness....so any such argument sounds to me like a way for them
to shirk that responsibility.

In my opinion.