[Election-Methods] Simple two candidate election

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 26 02:48:41 PST 2007

On Dec 25, 2007, at 17:55 , Jobst Heitzig wrote:

> Dear Juho!
>
> You wrote:
>
>> I could imagine a voting system that might address this issue for
>> larger groups, but it isn't Range.
>>
>> One could have elections that take into account e.g.
>> proportionality in time (that could be called one kind of
>> reciprocity) (favour a republican after a democrat, favour other
>> pizzas after pepperoni).
>
> Try D2MAC! It does precisely that in the long run :-)
>
> Yours, Jobst

Yes, random methods typically aim at the same target. Maybe the
target can be said to be proportionality here. All single winner
methods of course need not aim at proportionality.

I was thinking mainly about methods where all unused quota would be
inherited to the next election. Proportionality is more deterministic
than with random methods. Inheritance also causes problems when
compared to randomness (e.g. changes in party structure, clear
changes in opinions).

Juho