[Election-Methods] RE : Re: Primary Elections using a "Top 2/Single Transferable Voting Method"

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Tue Dec 18 12:41:13 PST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Juho wrote:

> No parties
> + less hidden cabinet decisions
> + free opinions
> + also minority opinions present
> +/- less group power (coordinated voting according to majority
> opinion of the party)
> - more populism
> - candidates may tell different stories to different potential voters
> - different stories in different elections

+ more populism

To quote my local dictionary (Oxford American),

populist

a member or adherent of a political party seeking to represent the
interests of ordinary people.

• a person who holds, or who is concerned with, the views of ordinary
people.
• ( Populist) a member of the Populist Party, a U.S. political party
formed in 1891 that advocated the interests of labor and farmers, free
coinage of silver, a graduated income tax, and government control of
monopolies.