[Election-Methods] RE : Re: Primary Elections using a "Top 2/Single Transferable Voting Method"

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Tue Dec 18 06:38:23 PST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007, at 9:33 AM, Kevin Venzke wrote:

> --- Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com> a écrit :
>> My own opinion is that state parties should directly elect delegates,
>> not Presidential candidates. Then the delegates make the choice, at
>> the convention. They can actually .... *deliberate*. What a concept!
>
> I'm skeptical that it would be feasible to be elected as delegate
> without
> being willing to commit to voting for a specific presidential
> candidate.

I think people just like a taste of direct democracy sometimes (err,
more-direct, since it's voting for the guy who does the democracy, but
at least it's not voting for the guy who votes for the guy who does
the democracy). There are lots of reasons to have a deeper hierarchy
of actions, but those systems may yet just be unsatisfying in various
ways.