[Election-Methods] Spearman-unbiased apportionment

Peter Barath peb at freemail.hu
Sun Dec 2 15:11:50 PST 2007

>* r is the rounding function r(x) = x > m(floor(x), ceil(x)) ?
> ceil(x) : floor(x), where m is a generalized mean function

Not about this problem, but I am reminded of a conversation
many years ago. I don't remember who mentioned, without any
practical reference, only as a mathemathical curiosity, that
if we are to elect numbers of representatives in differently
populated districts, the "true" method is when the number of
the representatives is proportional to the square root of
the population.

As far as I can remember, it was something about the
probability of being a pivotal voter. (Which also gets
a big role in the theorization of the Clarke-tax.)

I'm not sure if I would be able to check it, but somehow
my feeling is that it can easily be well grounded.

At least if we think of the representatives as clones who
always vote the same way. If there are parties and the
representatives are party-proportional, this remark seems
invalid to me.

Peter Barath