[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise when there'reonly 2 factions

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Aug 31 18:59:00 PDT 2007

Mr. Kislanko wrote directly to me, which I prefer not be done unless
there is a specific reason for a personal communication, immediately
disclosed. I'm responding to the list.

At 12:35 AM 8/31/2007, Paul Kislanko wrote:
>Any question about what method works that is turned into how a question
>about how humans behave is per-force an exercise in navel-gazing.

In a word, nonsense. How humans behave is relevant to election
methods, or else we'd just do Range and leave it at that. Or
Plurality, for that matter (if humans simply talk to each other and
agree on what they want, Plurality is generally adequate as a test).

>No. The question was what method can elect C if all voters vote their
>natural selfishness, which is 55% A 100 C 80, 45 percent B 100 C 80.

I generally consider election methods in the contexts where they are
used. There is no question about what happens with various methods if
people vote according to known algorithms. However, they don't, at
least not according to a single fixed algorithm. People use various
algorithms to turn preferences into votes, they do it with various
degrees of knowledge of the election context (i.e., election
probabilities), etc.

The problem did not describe the "natural selfishness" of the voters
as those ratings. Rather, it described this as their sincere
preferences, and that was further clarified using comparison with a
lottery, i.e., if we assume rational behavior, then those values
would explain their choices in picking a certainty of an outcome
against a lottery with those odds.

What "selfish" refers to would be the behavior of any faction of the
voters in attempting to secure their favorite outcome, by voting
"selfishly," i.e., strategically, *not* by voting their sincere
preferences, unless strategy indicates that. Thus the problem boils
down to selecting a method which would encourage them to vote their
sincere preferences, or to otherwise respond such as to discover
those preferences, even in the face of a majority attempting to
defeat picking the compromise C in order to gain some preferential
benefit for themselves, in the face of an apparent strong preference
by a minority.

>If they vote as described in the (highly unlikely) conditions, then any
>method that allows them to split votes 5/9 favorite 4/9 second favorite
>solves the problem.
>
>All of the rest of the discussion related to this problem is noise.

No, though if Mr. Kislanko is correct, it would be error. Error is
not noise. In fact, if you cannot express an error condition (and
discover it, of course), you cannot correct your course. When we
write erroneously to this list, it is not noise, it is *information*
about our own incorrect understandings, and thus highly useful. It's
only noise if you don't care about human beings, but only election
methods. That may be true for Mr. Kislanko, but it's not true for me.

Is he correct? If the A voters know their position, why would they
give 4/9 of a vote to their second choice?

As I've pointed out, the gap between the A voters' first choice and
second choice could be quite large, in absolute terms. B would be
practically suicidal (so to speak), and C is only proportionally
better. The 20% reduction in preference suffered by the A voters in
the selection of C might be greater in absolute terms, for each
member of the A faction, than the 80% gain in utility for each of the B voters.

What this means is that C might *not* be the just outcome, in spite
of the apparent situation, even if the ratings given are sincere and
rational. The lottery method of testing the ratings will confirm
sincere *relative* ratings, not absolute ones.

On the other hand, a Clarke tax, on the one hand, or, on the other,
free negotiation between the factions for compensation to a faction
which loses value from an outcome, would determine commensurable
utilities. If these means, or similar, confirm that the ratings given
may be treated as commensurable (that is, not absolute, necessarily,
but covering the same range of absolute utilities for each faction),
then we could say, indeed, that C would be the just outcome.

Another way to put this is that if the outcome of the method, with
the given relative preferences, is C, it *could* be unjust, a poor outcome.

Far from being "highly unlikely," the meaning of which is, however,
unclear, the ratings given would be appropriate and sincere for some
physical layout of voter locations; perhaps there are two population
centers in the town, and a layout of roads such that travel distances
to a proposed public facility explain the ratings. A, B, and C, are,
of course, locations for the facility.

The A voters have travel distances, in km., of A 0, B 100, C 20
and the B voters have travel distances of A 10, B 0, C 2,
to give an example where the utilities are sincere but the C outcome is unjust.

If we can arrange for the voters to vote absolute utilities in a
Range election, the outcome will be just; however, it will not be
*fully* just, all by itself, for it this choice does not distribute
the benefit of making an optimal choice to all voters. Rather, we can
say about the Range winner with these sincere absolute utilities is
that this winner is *efficient*, one possible meaning of which is
that compensation described to distribute the benefit would be minimized.

In the absolute example I gave, there is no C faction. That, by the
way, is a rather strong refutation of the IRV proponent's argument
that Core Support is an important criterion. C, with commensurable
utilities, is clearly the optimal choice, but has no "core support."

In this example, A is in the majority, and, as it happens, its choice
is optimal for reducing overall travel distance, assuming equal usage
of the facility by all voters. Justice, however, would be increased
if the A voters were to compensate the B faction for their increased
travel time. Majoritarian systems often ignore this.

But suppose the utilities are not arranged in this way, suppose that
the travel distances are as implied by the original statement of
ratings, i.e, 100, 0, 80 and 0, 100, 80, in the same units; i.e.,
these ratings are commensurable as given. In this case C is the best
choice, so the question then becomes, how do we coerce or induce the
A voters, as the majority, to given up their preference and suffer a loss?

Since I'd prefer to avoid coercion, there is, then, an obvious
solution: the B voters offer compensation for the choice of C. Put it
another way, a set of payments is negotiated such that, for each
outcome, the voters who benefit from that outcome are compensated by
the voters who lose value. If we assume that the utilities are
inverse from travel costs, including the value of time, then we can
determine a matrix of compensations to be paid for all the outcomes,
and it will be seen that the choice of C reduces the necessary
compensation, since it is the most efficient choice.

And I gave an example of how compensation like that is actually
arranged in a real organization, Alcoholics Anonymous; there is, for
delegates to the annual Conference, a travel equalization plan, where
all delegates pay the same travel cost, no matter where they live,
into a fund, which is then distributed according to distance or other
measure, I'm not sure of the details. Again, that would not be
difficult to arrange in a real example as that described, though the
political practicality might be another matter; it would, in fact, be
simple: all citizens would be paid a subsidy, perhaps as a credit
against their taxes, depending on place of residence and the travel
distance to the facility, calculated to equalize the rational
utilities. Taxes, of course, would be increased and the increase
would be borne by all. Thus, other things being equal, such a scheme
would distribute the maximized benefit of making the optimal choice,
or, more accurately, the reduced overall cost of making the optimal choice.

However, the problem with the tax plan is that "other things" are
generally not equal. Different citizens may have different values for
their time, for example. So a free negotiation, if efficiently done,
should be better able to balance true utilities, rather than a
central planning kind of approach, unless the latter could somehow
deal fairly with the more complex individual utilities. A Clarke tax
type of scheme may be one means of doing this, but I pointed out how,
even with Plurality, the citizens could negotiate the equivalent,
inducing the majority to choose some loss in utility in order to give
a minority a greater net improvement. After compensation, all
factions would have the same cost or benefit *within their own
estimation*, and they would, rationally, sincerely choose the optimal
outcome, since that would provide them with minimal cost or maximum
benefit over any of the other outcomes.

Is it necessary to detail the compensation necessary, or is it enough
to provide the basic principles of how it would be done, i.e.,
equalization of cost or benefit?

The problem with the tax-based equalization