[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Aug 22 14:58:49 PDT 2007

At 03:32 PM 8/22/2007, seppley at alumni.caltech.edu wrote:
>The problem is not well-posed, since the sincere ratings are not expressed
>in units, which means it's unclear whether C has the most utility for
>society.
>
>However, assuming the intensity difference between the A faction's 100 and
>80 is much less than the intensity difference between the B faction's 80
>and 0, here's another way to elect C: The 45 can pay 6 of the A faction to
>vote for C. (Not necessarily a payment of money.)  We can expect members
>of the A faction to be willing to sell their votes fairly cheaply since
>they like C nearly as much as they like A, and we can expect members of
>the B faction to be willing to pay that price, since they like C much more
>than they like A and they can share the cost.
>
>(From an economics standpoint, transfers of wealth are not inefficient,
>all else being equal.)

That's correct. It is doable. It might also be illegal, here. But
there could be ways to do it legally, as mentioned, it would not
necessarily be a payment of money. But for these factions to trust
each other could be a problem. If C is elected, what is to keep the B
voters from simply not paying?

Nevertheless, that kind of proposal is similar to what I mentioned
about systems that would encourage voters to vote true utilities. In
this case, the B supporters shift the utilities of some "selfish A
voters" so that they, selfishly, will change their votes. To pay the
minimum, the B voters could auction off the right to receive
payments, which payments would be conditional on C winning. Since the
A voters are, as described, selfish, some would sell their votes
fairly cheaply.

Technically, they are not selling votes, they are bidding an amount
that they would receive if C wins. For them, it is like a hedge. The
bidding is in reverse, that is, it starts high and comes down. It
deserves more thought...