[Election-Methods] Challenge: Elect the compromise when there're only 2 factions

Howard Swerdfeger electorama.com at howard.swerdfeger.com
Wed Aug 22 08:38:18 PDT 2007

Jobst Heitzig wrote:
> A common situation: 2 factions & 1 good compromise.
>
> The goal: Make sure the compromise wins.
>
> The problem: One of the 2 factions has a majority.
>
> A concrete example: true ratings are
>    55 voters: A 100, C 80, B 0
>    45 voters: B 100, C 80, A 0
>
> THE CHALLENGE: FIND A METHOD THAT WILL ELECT THE COMPROMISE (C)!

approval, would work if voters approval cutoff is below 80, as would
honest range.

> The fine-print: voters are selfish and will vote strategically...

dang! I would suggest using one of the above methods and removing any
knowledge from the voter of how any of the other voters will vote.

No Media coverage.
No predictions by political analysts.
No talking with your family/friends/co-workers about who you will vote for.

This would limit the voters ability to vote strategically. i.e. if the
group of 55 voters don't know they have a majority they would probably
vote honest in order to get the best result.