[Election-Methods] RE : Re: Improved Approval Runoff

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Aug 22 06:04:41 PDT 2007

Hi,

--- Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com> a écrit :
> At 10:48 PM 8/20/2007, Kevin Venzke wrote:
> >That's still pretty strange... What about IRV with equal rankings
> allowed?
>
> Well, I suggested it long ago as a simple improvement. Voters can
> essentially vote it as Approval if they want.
>
> In an Approval election, if all the candidates you approve are not
> going to win, your vote has been wasted. (Unless, of course, it is
> Asset Voting or some PR scheme). Having a fallback vote makes sense.
>
> However, I wouldn't personally choose IRV as the ranked method to
> use. Why in the world not use a Condorcet method, if you want ranked?

I wouldn't choose it either. This comment of mine is a response to you
seeming to claim that if a method allows equal-ranking and truncation,
this is a sufficient condition for it to be called "Condorcet/Approval."

If that's not what you were saying than I wonder what you meant in your
first mail that used the term "Condorcet/Approval"?

Kevin Venzke