[Election-Methods] Improved Approval Runoff

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Aug 21 19:53:47 PDT 2007

At 01:23 AM 8/21/2007, Paul Kislanko wrote:
>There is no such thing as "utility" to a voter. That is an abstraction used
>by analysts for which I have seen no definition that is useful to me, a
>voter, despite having pleaded for one on this list for at least three years
>now.

The term is widely used, and it has generally accepted meanings,
though often lacking precision. There are certain assumptions
underlying the concept.

And there are equivalent terms. Expected Satisfaction is one.

If Candidate A wins this election, how satisfied would you be?

0 Very Dissatisfied
1 Moderately Dissatisfied
2 Slightly Dissatisfied
3 Neither Satisfied nor Dissatisfied
4 Slightly Pleased
5 Moderately Pleased
6 Very Pleased.

This could be a Range 6 ballot.

It is usually a bad idea to claim that something that many find a
useful concept does not exist. It does, at least in some way....

Utility is used in game theory to find optimum actions. Each possible
choice is assigned a utility, some value. In some cases, this can be
done accurately; if, for example, various outcomes have economic
value, they might be valued in dollars. There are voting schemes
where one essentially bids with taxes. (I find this idea interesting,
and not necessarily plutocratic, if what is being decided with the
"votes" is how taxes will be spent. But it is not my purpose here to
examine this kind of proposal, it is merely an example where
"utility" has a very specific meaning for a given voter. It would be,
in this case, how much you were willing to bid to get the outcome you want.)

The utilities in Range Voting are really the same as utilities in game theory.

In simulations, it is assumed that people have some kind of internal
process for assigning value to candidates. While, in fact, there may
be no such valuation, rather people consider candidates pairwise and
rank through a series of pairwise comparisons, people also have a
sense of preference strength, and, through pairwise comparisons and
preference strengths, one can estimate a scale. Can there be a
Condorcet Cycle? Not in the simulations, but, in reality, it might be
possible, for when we compare two candidates, we may compare them
based on a particular set of characteristics that are salient for
that pair; with another pair, another set may be used, and thus it
becomes possible to have a cycle.

The simulations that I'm aware of use "issue space." If I am correct,
it is presumed that there are a series of issues, with a linear scale
associated with each. Voters and candidates are assigned positions on
each of these scales, according to some distribution considered
realistic (it would not realistically be a linear distribution;
rather the opinions of people cluster). The distance between the
voter's position and the candidate's position is "regret" if that
candidate is elected, on that scale. I don't know, actually, if only
one issue scale is used, or if there are a series in vector space. In
any case, resulting from this is an assignment of numerical values to
each candidate. In the simulations, this is the utility. That, then,
is translated into a Range vote using various strategies.

Range votes are, however, just votes. They are not "utilities." But
*if* there are commensurable utilities, and voters vote Range Votes
proportional to them, Range optimizes utility summed over all voters.
If the utilities are "relative expected satisfaction," somewhat like
what I listed above, Range, then, optimizes overall voter
satisfaction with the result, minimizing dissatisfaction.

Obviously, there is a series of assumptions being made. However, they
are reasonable ones. We are quite capable of ranking candidates, and,
in addition, of estimating preference strengths. This, then, means
that we are capable of *rating* candidates. Rating is just ranking
with varying spread between the ranks. Rating is utility is expected
voter satisfaction; however, in the end, all of this is theory and
perhaps rationalization, the reality is that the voter is casting
votes which have effects on the outcome.

It just happens that Range apparently *does* optimize overall
satisfaction, not perfectly, but better than other methods on the
table. Even if voters vote "strategically," i.e., choose the votes
which game theory would indicate are optimal. It's really rather
silly, the objection about strategic voting in Range. We want people
to express what they want, and how strongly they want it. If they
think they gain advantage by voting strongly, *they have strong
preferences,* at least if they are sane.

(There are hysterics who make everything a matter of strong
preference. But Range Voting is not turning society over to
hysterics. There are probably hysterics on all sides of the issues,
and they average out. The presence of "hysterical voters" -- who
would vote quite as people claim strategic voters would vote --
merely shifts the election toward Approval, which is really the same
method, just more black-and-white, and, it seems, the presence of
even a few voters who vote intermediate ratings improves the outcome.
It may be like adding high-frequency noise to a signal to increase
precision in measuring it, a trick that really works even though it
sounds counter-intuitive)

>If you can't define "utility", don't use that in any argument. If you can,
>please do so.

Let me put it this way: utility is as well or better defined than
many concepts which are routinely used on this list.

The term has a range of meanings, from informal, where it is simply a
synonym for "value," without insisting upon some numerical
assignment, to more technical usages.

I've written quite a bit on the Range list about how utilities are
converted to votes. It is assumed that we have some internal scale
which weighs candidates, giving them some value from maximally
negative to maximally positive. These maximums are actually the
strongest possible opinions we could hold, far stronger than we would
normally hold, they are the limits of human experience. Different
people, I assume, are capable of different ranges of experience, so
these utilities are not strictly commensurable. However, if we equate
the distance between minimum and maximum for all people, we come up
with what I've called the "first normalization." Smith and others, I
think, have used underlying utilities that are of this kind, often
expressed as a real number in the range of 0 to 1. It would probably
correspond better to human experience to use -1 to +1, being an
expression of maximum aversion to maximum attraction, but for our
purposes here, the absolute range does not matter. We are going to
normalize it all to a single scale for everyone.

*Then* comes the "second normalization," where the candidate set may
come into play. The utilities described above are often termed
absolute utilities, though they are not truly absolute. Nevertheless,
they are presumed to be independent of the candidate set. But when we
vote in a Range election, normally we do not have anywhere near the
full range of possible utilities represented, we don't have, as I've
termed them, the Messiah and Antichrist both on the ballot, we don't
usually have either of them. If we did, I missed it.

I'm going to assume that Mr. Kislanko has a sincere question about
what utilities mean, practically, as a voter. I've written about this
on the Range list, but here is an attempt to describe how to create a
set of normalized utilities. I'm going to describe an algorithm that
is strategically optimal or at least close to it. Yet it is also
"sincere," though not necessarily "fully sincere," which is problematic.

Take the set of candidates on the ballot or reasonably as write-ins
and select the frontrunners, those considered to be possible winners.

Examine this set and identify your favorite. Also identify the
opposite, the least-preferred. Assign the rating of 100% to your
favorite. Assign the rating of 0% to your least preferred. Remember,
these are the frontrunners, your favorite might not be among them.

For every candidate preferred to the frontrunners, also rate the
candidate at 100%, and for every candidate to which you would prefer
any frontrunner, rate that candidate at 0%.

Now, take any remaining candidates andIdentify clones among these and
consider them as one candidate, N is the number of candidates after
clones have been merged. Rank them and then assign them a preliminary
rating, in steps of 100/(N+1), which will evenly space them across
the range of 0-100.

Then consider if the preference strengths so assigned are reasonable.
For example, if N was 1, the spread given above would place that
single candidate midway between max and min. If the candidate seems
better than that, nudge the vote up, if lower, nudge it down, until
the ratings gap seems to correspond to a sense of preference strength.

Instead of doing the spread above, evenly distributing the candidates
to start, it might be simpler to tack in one candidate at a time,
starting with the most important.

Remember, if a candidate is not as good as the best frontrunner, but
still quite good, this candidate should properly be rated close to
100%, and similar applies to the bottom end.

It is not an exact thing. But people make judgements like this all
the time,and Range has been used for polls for as long as I can
remember. People know how to rate! In the end, what one is doing,
though, is adjusting fractions of a vote. It does not have to be
terribly accurate. It will average out over many voters....

That it will average out also means that you can simply set an
Approval cutoff and rate candidates better than that at 100% and
candidates less than that at 0%. There is nothing offensive or
insincere about this, though it provides less detail about your
preferences, and, for various reasons, it somewhat increases your
risk of regret.... but it's simpler, for sure.

It is entirely unclear that we will see high-resolution Range soon in
public elections. But seeing Approval (I call Range 1) or the next
step up, I call Range 2 (Cardinal Ratings 3), is much more possible.
MSNBC has a number of polls up that are Range 2. (The ratings are -,
0, +, and they report the percentage of voters who voted each, which
provides more information than simply reporting the sums. It's quite
interesting!)