[Election-Methods] RE : Re: Improved Approval Runoff

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Aug 20 10:22:47 PDT 2007

Hi,

--- Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com> a écrit :
> At 09:44 PM 8/19/2007, Kevin Venzke wrote:
> >I would guess that if you searched the EM archives you would find
> >literally dozens of proposed methods that combine approval with a
> pairwise
> >measure.
>
> And method which allows equal ranking and truncation is
> "Condorcet/Approval."

By "And" did you mean "Any"?

I don't think either equal ranking or truncation are necessary rules for
Condorcet//Approval. The method could require a strict ranking but
feature an explicitly placed cutoff.

By the way, electing from the Condorcet top tier using approval would
be called Smith//Approval or Schwartz//Approval depending on which top
tier is used. I don't typically consider these methods because they are
more complicated than Condorcet//Approval and can't be adjusted to
satisfy FBC.

Kevin Venzke