[Election-Methods] Improved Approval Runoff

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 20 09:30:08 PDT 2007

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

>At 09:44 PM 8/19/2007, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>

>>I would guess that if you searched the EM archives you would find
>>literally dozens of proposed methods that combine approval with a pairwise
>>measure.
>>

>And method which allows equal ranking and truncation is "Condorcet/Approval."

Abd,
Is  "And.." suppose to read  'Any...', or is there some missing word?
As written, to the extent that it makes
sense it is false.

>The term "Approval" is somewhat misleading for the method, because a
>vote does not necessarily represent any absolute "Approval" of the
>candidates, and some people have a reaction to the method based on an
>idea that it does.

That is purely a secondary marketing issue. Perhaps you would like to
unilaterally change Approval's name?

>It's a vote, pure and simple. "Approval" is a method which allows
>overvoting, or equal rating.

It is, but is that supposed to be its definition? Maybe you are on your
way to changing Approval's
definition.

Chris Benham