[Election-Methods] Improved Approval Runoff

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sun Aug 19 18:44:43 PDT 2007

Hi,

--- Peter Barath <peb at freemail.hu> a écrit :
> My favourite (at this moment)
> is a preference ranking with an approval cutoff. For me it's
> interesting enough that it can be used in two ways:
>
> 1. If there is a Condorcet-winner she/he/it wins. If there is
>    not, the Approval winner wins.

I think that Condorcet//Approval is an ok method. I made a revision to
it that preserves Approval's feature that you never need to use favorite
betrayal:
http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Improved_Condorcet_Approval

> 2. Calculate the two candidates with the most Approval points
>    and the pairwise winner of them wins.

However, this procedure is easily undermined when every serious candidate
simply has a "running mate" nominated with him.

I would guess that if you searched the EM archives you would find
literally dozens of proposed methods that combine approval with a pairwise
measure.

Kevin Venzke