[Election-Methods] RE : Corrected "strategy in Condorcet" section

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Wed Aug 15 09:30:12 PDT 2007

At 08:49 AM 8/15/2007, Chris Benham wrote:
>I classify ballot-types purely by the type of information they collect
>(allow the voters to specify) and not by what the algorithm does with
>that information.

Generally, Range ballots, if they have sufficient resolution, would
be quite functional as rank ballots. If I'm correct, they are
Borda-count ballots with equal ranking allowed and many ranks vacant.

And it appears that Range with preference analysis triggering a
runoff is better at maximizing SU than plain Range. (The simulations
haven't been done, I think, but top-two Range has been simulated and
improves results, and normally when there is a discrepancy between
the Range winner and the preference winner -- someone who beats the
Range winner by pairwise analysis -- the pairwise winner would be number two.)

Analyzing the Range ballots that way and triggering a runoff when
preference analysis indicates it causes the combined method to
satisfy the Majority Criterion as to the overall process. It would
*not* simply choose the preference winner, for if the Range ballot
has not been badly distorted by misguided strategic exaggeration,
there would be a small collective preference for the majority winner,
but a larger collective preference, held by a minority of voters, for
the Range winner. Under those conditions it would be, I suspect,
common that the majority would effectively consent to the Range
winner, either explicitly or by not bothering to vote in the runoff,
since they are already getting a good result either way.

But the supporters of the Range winner are motivated to vote, by the
terms of the problem....

This would make Range into a system that is much more compatible with
the principles of deliberative process, which always involve
immediate majority consent.