[Election-Methods] US court rejects threat to 'vote-trading' websites

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Sun Aug 12 18:58:59 PDT 2007

At 04:19 PM 8/12/2007, Peter Barath wrote:
>But we don't have the slightest idea what a "Secretary of State
>of California" means. "Secretary of State of US" is US term for
>European "Minister of Foreign Affairs", but we have doubt that
>a US member state has such thing. Is it like a "Justice Minister",
>or a "Minister of Home affairs" (police and/or municipalities),
>or "Senior State Prosecutor", "Head of Supreme Court" or
>something else?

Suggestion. Don't know what a term means, look it up on Wikipedia.
 From "Secretary of State," pretty quickly you would have found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_of_State_%28U.S._state_government%29

 From that article:

>The most common, and arguably the most important, function held by
>Secretaries of State is to serve as the state's chief elections
>official. In 38 states, ultimate responsibility for the conduct of
>elections, including the enforcement of qualifying rules, oversight
>of finance regulation, establishment of actual election-day
>procedures, falls on the Secretary of State. (Florida is one of the
>many states in which this is true, and for this reason Florida's
>Secretary of State in
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election%2C_2000>2000,
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Harris>Katherine Harris,
>became one of the few people holding this position to become known
>outside of her own state.)

It should all make sense now. The California S of S wrote to the web
site arranging vote trading because the S of S was the official
directly concerned with elections.