[Election-Methods] Elect the Compromise

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Aug 24 14:20:58 PDT 2007

I can see that I needn't have worried about taking the wind out of
anybody sails.  Since my message was posted, the challenge has
continued to generate a lot of lively discussion and clever ideas,
including some that I completely overlooked.

The main thing I overlooked was vote trading.

So there are two main devices for solving the challenge: vote trading
and randomness.

Jobst suggested a way of combining them: asset voting with random
ballot as the base method, so that probabilities are traded.

We could also combine them into a DYN version of D2MAC.

The basic ballots are DYN ballots.  Voters decide Yes/No for each
candidate that they feel sure about, and then Delegate the remaining
Y/N votes to one of the candidates, presumably their favorite.

After all of the Y/N votes have been completed by the proxies, two
ballots are drawn at random.  If there is a candidate that was (either
directly or by proxy) voted Yes on both ballots, then the common Yes
candidate with the greatest number of Y's (from the other voters or
their proxies) is elected.  Otherwise the favorite (i.e. proxy
candidate) of the first drawn ballot chooses the winner.

That's just an idea meant to stimulate exploration of further
possibilities.

Forest