[Election-Methods] Another method on approval ballots (approval-limited minimum opposition)

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Fri Aug 17 14:39:18 PDT 2007

Kevin Venzke wrote:

>So this compromise occurred to me:
>
>"Elect the candidate to whom the greatest opposition is the least
>(breaking ties in favor of greatest approval), whose approval is at least
>as high as the greatest opposition to him."

This didn't interest me much when I first saw it because I can't see
that getting voters to do nothing but fill in
approval ballots and then not elect the Approval winner can be seriously
justified.

But I think for methods that also collect ranking information it could
be the basis of  a potentially useful set:
"the set of candidates whose approval score is higher than  their
maximum approval opposition score".

If we interpret approval as ranking above bottom or equal-bottom, then
we have a concept that is immune
to Irrelevant Ballots and implies Plurality and Minimal Defense. The set
always includes the approval winner
and I think also the CW if there is one. (And of course we have a
maybe-useful criterion: "the winner must
come from the set.")

So one idea for a Condorcet method: "elect the member of the set that is
highest-ordered by MinMax (Margins)".
[I'm not sure if we need to do it that way or if we can just first
eliminate (and drop from the ballots) the non-members
of the set.]
This should lack WV's random-fill incentive, and I think meet mono-add-top.

Another alternative, for a method that hopefully meets FBC, would be to
use MinMax (PO) instead of  MM(M).

In the classic  49A, 24B, 27C>B scenario the set is {B}.

What  do you think?

Chris Benham