[Election-Methods] Asset Voting can be a proxy system

Jan Kok jan.kok.5y at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 02:55:53 PDT 2007

On 8/14/07, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

> Proportional representation through elections could seem an
> attractive solution, except that, in fact, it would only begin to
> touch the problem. Asset Voting, while it looks like an election, is
> actually a proxy system.

Very interesting!!! What Abd has observed is that the person you would
turn over your "assets" to, is probably the same person you would name
as your proxy.

> Representatives are chosen, not elected. The
> requirements of scale force restriction of membership of a
> deliberative body to certain limits, so some device must be used to
> reduce the count of members; however, deliberative methods are far
> more flexible than elections. And when it comes to representation,
> there should be nothing other than free choice, restricted only as
> minimally necessary for scale.
>
> Because the electors in Asset Voting are public voters, it also
> becomes possible to have, for them, direct democracy.

Darn! Abd, have you mentioned this before? I think this is a
significant, new idea. Delegable Proxy superimposed on Asset Voting.

> That is, there
> will still be far too many electors to have them participate in the
> sessions of the legislature, but there is actually no reason to
> prohibit them from *voting*. When they vote, assuming that they have
> cast their held votes for a member with a seat, that member's vote
> count would be reduced proportionally. I predict that this would only
> occasionally reduce the vote of a member significantly. The essential
> function of the member then, shifts.
>
> The member is a servant of the voters for the purpose of representing
> them in deliberation, in entering motions, in debate, as well as in
> voting for them *if they do not vote directly*. (In Asset Voting, the
> member actuallly represents the electors, who, in turn, are voting on
> behalf of those who entrusted them with their votes.)

So, as a voter in, say, a state congressional district,

If I want to be able to vote directly in state assembly votes, I can
declare myself as a public elector.

If I want to be listed on the ballot, I can gather signatures. The top
10, say, signature gatherers get listed.

During the negotiation phase of Asset Voting, I would pass my assets
to some local activist that I trust to represent me. At the same time,
I would probably designate that person as my proxy.

When votes are taken in the Assembly, my proxy can vote for me, or I
can vote directly. In either case, our votes override the votes cast
for us by our representative.

In order for this to be practical and not slow down proceedings, I
think we would need voting by Internet, SMS, phone with touch-tone, or
similar. There are problems with security that need to be worked out.
There is also the problem of Internet delays, busy signals, etc. that
could prevent one from voting within the time limit. There may be no
good solutions to that, but if one is paranoid, one could perhaps vote
early before voting on a motion officially begins. One should be
allowed to change one's mind and re-vote.

Cheers,
- Jan