[Election-Methods] [EM] RV comments

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 13:58:42 PDT 2007

The mail was so long that I copied some parts of it here to be answered.

>> As discussed many times the strategy problems of Range may be too bad
>> to be overcome. We should keep seeking for better methods all the
>> time of course.
>
> Please describe a bad problem with Range. Specifically, and show
> examples. Hopefully, they will be realistic.

I did but I assume you didn't accept the example. I'll use just
slightly different words this time. The sincere opinions of Democrats
are D=100, R=80, and for the Republicans R=90, D=80. If Range in used
in a way that assumes all opinion values to be used extensively, not
only min and max, then the one that votes more strategically (min and
max only) is likely to win (assuming that the support of the parties
is roughly 50%-50%). Individual voters are thus tempted to
exaggerate. The votes of those voters that will not exaggerate will
have smaller weight than the votes of the strategic voters.

One can fix this by letting the voters understand that in order to be
fully efficient, an approval style vote is in most cases the
strongest strategy for them. Letting some voters cast sincere opinion
based votes e.g. for 50 years before they learn that their votes have
had less weight than the votes of some other voters doesn't sound
nice to me.

>>> This argument has been presented many times against Range, and I
>>> have never seen an analysis of what "too rewarding" is. Obviously,
>>> something is missing, there are assumptions being made that, for
>>> example, there should be no reward for strategic voting.
>>>
>>> Yet every method, to some degree, rewards strategic voting, and the
>>> reward can be large. What is "too rewarding?"
>>
>> If e.g. strategic voting is often possible, easy to apply, influences
>> the results and maybe elects some clearly "no-good" candidates.
>
> No. Please show an example. (In Range, the strategy is only to vote
> Approval style. If a candidate is going to win because some people
> vote approval style, I'd argue -- and many argue -- that this is
> quite a reasonable winner. Not a "no-good" one unless the
> electorate wants to elect a no-good.

Approval winners may be considered "not no-good". (Although also
Approval has its strategic voting problems, but let's forget that for
now.)

Range is likely to become Approval like if used in a competitive
environment. Range may however provide worse results than Approval if
there is a mixture of Approval like and sincere opinion like votes
(and those votes are not evenly spread among the candidates).

An (exaggerated) example on how Range could elect a "no-good"
candidate: 50% D=100, R1=80, R2=70,  30% R1=100, R2=90, D=70,  20%
R1=100, R2=0, D=0. The "bad" Republican wins. In real life this is
however not likely to happen since probably the D and R1 supporters
will understand what's going on and will exaggerate too. Many R1
supporters might take one step back and give more points (maybe max)
to R2 too.

> I find it odd that some will argue against the mild alleged
> vulnerability of Range Voting to "strategy," which merely means
> voting range as a pure ranked method with two ranks, and then
> swallow the much more insincere votes coming from strategic
> vulnerabilities of Condorcet methods, perhaps claiming that the
> latter are "rare," perhaps because it's too complicated for people
> to figure out, so they won't do it.
>
> But with Range, these same people will claim that the sincere
> voters are "suckers." That they are going to be taken advantage of
> by conniving Approval voters.
>
> It's a double standard.

I don't think so. The main difference is that in (sincere opinion
based) Range the (Approval style) strategies typically work in all
elections and for all voters while in Condorcet the strategies work
only in some scenarios and are often hard to implement. The
vulnerability of Condorcet methods thus depends very much on how one
estimates the various factors that influence the probability of
"failure" due to strategic voting. In some calculations Condorcet
methods can be considered fully safe while others may consider the
threats more probable. (Note also again that Approval is also not
without strategy problems, and plurality etc.)

> I am *not* saying that voting sincerely in zero knowledge is being
> a sucker. But voting so, ignoring the identify of the frontrunners,
> is, quite simply, foolish. There is *strategy* for voting Range.
>
> If people don't use it but do normalize, they will not be harmed
> seriously.

I think you should refer to such normalization where at least one
frontrunner gets min and one gets max (or something close to that).

(Note btw that normalization also destroys the otherwise nice
behaviour of Range in the pizza example. If the sincere opinions of
three pizza lovers are [A=100,B=99], [A=100,B=99] and [B=100,A=0]
(the third voter is allergic to pizza A) the normalization changes
the selection to pizza A.)

Juho