[Election-Methods] DYN is probably better, but less proposable

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Aug 1 14:30:09 PDT 2007

I understand why Mike thinks the public is not ready for DYN, yet.

I think if Approval were adopted, then the logic of DYN would soon
become obvious.

Also, keep DYN in mind the next time you have an election of some kind
in a small group.

The three main advantages of  DYN over plain Approval are ...

(1) Joe voter doesn't have to strategize or even worry about approving
or disapproving candidates that he knows little about.

(2) The proxies have accurate information for their strategizing.

(3) It comes very close to satisfying the strong version of the FBC.

Points (1) and (3) are its best selling points for the general public.

Point (2) is the one that gives DYN an actual advantage over Approval
as far as results are concerned.  For example, accurate information is
important for electing the Condorcet Winner when there is one.  In the
current environment of Fox News style disinformation, Approval and
Range will have a hard time living up to their potential.

Suppose for example we have the ratings profile ...

52 (A,100) (B,20) (C,0)
23 (B,100) (C,60) (A,0)
25 (C,100) (B,60) (A,0)

It would be easy for Murdoch to report distorted faction sizes so that
the A faction is thought to have only 48% support, and that that C is
considered the leading contender.

With that disinformation, Range and Approval strategizers would
recommend the A supporters to give B maximum support. "Anybody but C."

This would never happen in DYN.

Forest

Mike wrote ...