[EM] RE : Re: Election methods in student government...

Gervase Lam gervase.lam at group.force9.co.uk
Thu Apr 26 16:50:05 PDT 2007

> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:37:21 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Kevin Venzke
> Subject: [EM] RE : Re:  Election methods in student government...

> > IRV satisfies LNH but strictly speaking does not allow equal rankings.
> > MMPO satisfies LNH but allows equal rankings.  Would there be any
> > benefits in disallowing equal rankings in MMPO?
>
> I don't see any benefit in that. On the contrary, that would cause MMPO
> to fail FBC.

But isn't IRV more prone to FBC (i.e. ranking a compromise higher)?  In
other words, though MMPO would fail FBC, it would not be as bad as IRV?

(When I said "disallowing equal rankings" in the above, I should have
also clarified that truncation would still be allowed as IRV allows
truncation.)

Thanks,
Gervase.