[EM] RE : Re: Student government - what voting system to recommend?

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Apr 26 11:29:23 PDT 2007

Hi,

--- Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com> a écrit :
> At 12:02 PM 4/25/2007, Tim Hull wrote:
> >On this topic, does anyone know of a modified,
> >kind-of-Condorcet-but-not-quite method which preserves
> >later-no-harm?  This may be interesting as a starting point...
>
> I don't see that Approval has been considered. If you are considering
> retaining Plurality for single-winner, you should at least stop
> tossing overvotes! This only violates Later-no-harm under
> questionable analysis.
>
> If, as a voter, you will be "harmed" if your second preference beats
> your first by a vote, then don't vote for the second preference!
> Under standard Approval strategy, you would not cast such a vote....

???

One is by definition "harmed" if the second preference beats the first.
That's what is meant by "harm."

The notion that if you don't want to cause this kind of harm, you can
simply choose not to vote lower preferences, apparently doesn't grasp
the concept that the point of LNHarm is that you wouldn't then have to
make such a choice. (I've brought up before the analogy of claiming
you're getting stuff for free by choosing not to purchase it.)

Under standard Approval strategy, it is of course possible that you might
approve your top two candidates.

Kevin Venzke