[EM] Student government - what voting system to recommend?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Apr 26 09:27:12 PDT 2007

At 11:08 AM 4/25/2007, Tim Hull wrote:
>That's the answer to what would likely happen if Range voting were
>implemented anywhere of significance - cards like those used in
>Australia would appear telling voters how to vote.  Granted, it
>would probably happen under any preferential system, but in range it
>is almost guaranteed that bullet voting would be encouraged "except"
>by minor party candidates, which MAY recommend voting for major
>party candidates as well.

Sure. We can expect the appearance of cards. What we *don't* know is
how widely the cards would be followed. It may depend on other
details of the system.

>Though I like the basic idea of range, I will say I have
>reconsidered somewhat when it comes to contentious elections.  In
>this case, I do see it degenerating into Approval really fast.

I'd suggest looking at the problem more carefully. First of all, if
it "degenerates" into Approval, it has become a system which many
experts think quite a good one! Approval *is* Range, just not as
finely resolved.

Secondly, the scenarios I've seen that allegedly show reward for
Approval-style voting actually don't. Indeed, one that was proposed
yesterday or the day before, here, show severed punishment of some
voters (40%) for bullet-voting, Had they actually voted Approval
style, and voted for *both* candidates whom, by the sincere ratings,
they really almost equally preferred, they would have had a vastly
superior outcome. Next time, indeed, we might expect, they would
realize that to drastically derate the centrist candidate, as they
did in the scenario, they are lying to the system and shouldn't be
surprised that the system pays attention to their lies and gives them
what they did not want!

>   While Approval is a decent system (better than FPTP for sure),
> third parties would still have significant trouble breaking through
> (major parties will always bullet vote, and a large number of
> third-party supporters will vote for the major party as well).

Again, assumptions are being made that have no basis in reality. Yes,
*many* major party supporters will simply bullet-vote. But many
others would not. I'm a registered Democrat and pretty consistently,
under the present system, vote for Democrats. But there are certainly
times I would have voted for third-party candidates as well.

No system is going to come into the present environment and suddenly
award third parties the victory. IRV certainly isn't going to do it.
Warren Smith has pointed out that IRV is practically political
suicide for third parties to support. Sure, it allows them to gain
votes (as would Approval, much more simply), but if they ever
approach parity, once again the spoiler effect appears with a
vengeance, and could bite them so badly that they would be doomed as a party.

Once again, the criticism of Approval does not really stand as a mark
against Approval. Under Approval, as under all Range methods (and
some other methods as well), third parties can start to gain votes
without throwing elections to the dogs. That's what they need now.
Approval behaves better than, say, IRV, as a third party approaches
parity. Range does better. And there are hybrid systems that do even
better, such as Range plus a runoff if there is a Condorcet winner
who is not the Range winner also.

If you can't win the pairwise contests *and* you can't win the
sum-of-votes contests, I'd suggest, you shouldn't win!

And the objection I've seen to the runoff proposal is that,
supposedly, the voters have already expressed how they would vote.
But this objection assumes that voters will maintain the same
preferences, even though they now have some important new
information: how acceptable the other candidate, the Range winner,
is. Some voters will vote, essentially, to maximize overall
satisfaction, as long as that result is quite acceptable to them. If
they don't, well, I *do* believe in majority rule. Which is not the
same as the Majority Criterion, which applies to preference systems
and pays not attention to preference strength, as the Pizza example
shows so clearly. The majority in the Pizza election will generally
have no problem with accepting its second choice, once it knows how
the rest of the electorate feels about their first preference. Wouldn't you?

>  We may see "shifts" between one party being major and another
> being major from election to election as voting results start to
> demonstrate shifts in support and voters vote accordingly, but it
> seems like each election will continue to be a basically two-party
> competition in and of itself.

For how long? And is this a problem? What happens, typically, is that
the major parties adopt the popular positions of the minor parties.
Other things take place as well. In Minnesota, I was reading, there
really is a three-party system, and one of the parties is the
Democratic Labor Party, which is Minnesota's version of the
Democratic party. The third major party is the Independence Party,
which is somewhat of a moderate libertarian party, which does manage
to elect some officials.

I don't see better election methods as, by themselves, bringing third
parties up to parity,generally. But I also don't think that
necessary. They make it more possible, by allowing third parties to
get a leg up without damaging the election. IRV is widely proposed
for this purpose, but Approval does it far more simply. Just stop
tossing ballots that are "overvoted!" Just Count All the Votes!

I have been unable to find any justification anywhere for tossing
overvoted ballots, it seems to have been assumed from the beginning
that they must be errors. Robert's Rules, talking about it, says that
they should be discarded "because they are errors."

There is an argument that is made, sometimes, that discarding
overvoted ballots allegedly prevents fraud. However, it is quite
clear that overvoting rules have, instead, been used to perpetrate
frauds, in various ways. Some have proposed that Approval ballots
have a specific No vote, which then can allegedly detect ballot
alteration fraud. But I don't think that will work very well either.
It is better to protect against fraud in far more direct ways, most
specifically by the ballot imaging proposals I've made, which are
already practical, do not increase public costs at all, and which
would nail down public confidence in vote counting. Since the public
could verify it, easily.

>In my mind, that leaves IRV and Condorcet as serious voting reform
>proposals.  While IRV isn't the best thing in the world (it can
>screw up when a new party becomes "major" in an election), it could
>help third parties with a solid coalition with a major party ( i.e.
>nearly all Democrats vote Green #2, and all Greens vote Democrat #2).

What I fail to understand is why Approval was rejected above, when it
allows quite the same thing, much more simply! In the Approval
example, it is true, we would see Greens vote as described, mostly,
and the Dems would much more bullet-vote -- but many would also
approve the Green, it is cost-free as long as the Greens aren't in
position to win -- but the problem with Approval is that it isn't
refined enough to allow voters to show preference among those
approved (or disapproved.) Range does this. So does a method called
A+, which is just Approval plus a Favorite designation. A+, by
itself, does not use that information, but it allows measurement of
relative popularity, which is all that is really being proposed
above. That's the only information you get out of IRV about third
parties which are not going to win.

But Range does it better. And the best voting strategy in Range,
overall, is to estimate one's own Approval level..... The allegation
that Range will devolve into Approval is based on incomplete analysis
of scenarios, neglecting the fact that for some voters, bullet-voting
can drastically harm some voters, and can only slightly benefit some
voters. We actually have no evidence that Range will degenerate into
Approval, and, if it has, well, so what? It simply becomes a
not-quite-as-good method, it does not become a bad method! Which IRV
can easily do:

>  It does suffer from the "center squeeze", though.  Condorcet, on
> the other hand, does not suffer from the center squeeze.

Right. But Condorcet, as a ranked method which does not consider
preference strength, can make spectacularly bad decisions, and in
real situations. Among such pure ranked methods, Condorcet-compliant
methods are obviously supreme.

In real-world elections, the differences between Condorcet and Range
methods can be small. *Usually* the results coincide. Approval also
*usually* picks the Condorcet winner.

>   However, it suffers from the opposite problem - the so-called
> "Pro Wrestler" or "Loony" syndrome in an election with a couple
> polarized candidates and a weak centrist or joke candidate.  In my
> student government elections, I picture this being a candidate
> walking around campus in a clown suit and winning based on becoming
> everybody's #2.  Also, Condorcet's later-no-harm failure may mean
> people give a less sincere ranking than in IRV, though this failure
> is far less so than in range.

Again, poor analysis of Range. Later-No-Harm failure in Range is
dependent upon some assumptions about how voters will vote. And,
typically, what is not considered is how the "failure" actually
affects the outcome from the point of view of the voter, it is simply
assumed that the voter will be dissatisfied if they get a
slightly-less-than-most-preferred outcome. Not so! As a voter, I can
tell you that I'd be pretty happy to get a candidate I rate at 80%
instead of one rated at 100%, in a field of candidates all rated much
lower than that, with my most-hated candidate right up there with my
favorite in pre-election polling! Yet, analysts just look at the
technicalities of the criterion and say, it failed.

It's the same, really, with the Majority Criterion, which easily gets
confused with majority rule. Majority rule is measured by votes that
are Yes/No. It is well-known that no election method is perfect from
every point of view, but this is only with elections where there are
more than two choices! The simplest election is Yes/No. And that is,
in fact, a default election method under Robert's Rules, used when
something more complex has not been chosed, typically for efficiency.
It happens to be, under RR, Condorcet-compliant, but because motions
are debated, it *also* will incorporate Range-type information.

You cannot apply Majority Rule, as a principle, to elections with
more than two candidates, and it really isn't even correct to do it
with two, for there is always a third option: None of the Above,
unless the majority has already specifically determined that one of
the two *will* be elected.

Instead, some majority at some time in the past determined that....
Majority Rule means that the majority *today* can decide! Which it
can, under Approval and Range, as long as it votes its preference
strictly. If it allows a minority candidate some of its votes ...
it's no longer a pure majority..... so, big surprise, those allowed
votes can cause the minority candidate to win.

Another way of looking at Range is that every voter gets N votes to
cast *for each candidate.* It is as if there are N times as many
voters, voting Approval. And if the majority of *these* voters cast
their votes preferentially for a candidate, that candidate cannot fail to win!

>However, PR still seems like the primary thing to shoot for - single
>winner elections really aren't any good in achieving better representation.

Lousy, in fact. They aren't representation at all, unless you assume
that California is represented if a Californian is chosen by someone
or some process.... Single-winner represents *districts*, not people.
It is really a system that made sense under the crown.

>   For that reason, I can see the logic of those pushing IRV with
> the intent of moving in a PR direction.

Yes. It is a strategic decision that they apparently made. However,
they don't reveal that this is why they chose IRV. Instead, they
pretend that single-winner IRV is a good method. It isn't.

>   I will say that, given honest voters and an absence of "Loony"
> type candidates, Condorcet produces better results and seems better.

>   However, it is more complex - and is yet another system to
> discuss. I really think that STV should be the real goal, with IRV
> used in single-winner elections (when necessary) for consistency -
> party lists are rotten by comparison, and no other system has been
> tested and proven for multiwinner to the extent of STV.

STV is quite reasonable multiwinner, though Asset is far more
accurate, in theory. There is also RRV, which should be better for
the same reason that Range is better than Condorcet. It is just that
with multiwinner, the problems of non-range methods don't bit as deeply.

Asset, of course, finesses the entire problem, and is the one method
which can then convert, easily, to something so close to direct
democracy that the difference is academic. So if you *really* want to
look long term, I'd really suggest considering Asset quite seriously.
It is also quite similar to Delegable Proxy, which is, some of us
thing, the choice of the future. (Indeed, the essential aspect of
Asset is only a secret-ballot layer, above that Asset can function
quite like delegable proxy).

>Thus, I plan on moving in an IRV+STV direction as far as my reforms
>(with multiwinner STV used for 70% of the seats on my student
>government i.e. all of the multi-seat districts).

Whatever.