[EM] Voting with Elimination - idea for simple PR system...

Tim Hull timhull2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 19:04:44 PDT 2007

The example from Slovenia is just normal cumulative voting without
elimination - that was also used in the Illinois House of Representatives
until 1980...  As far as letting voters give 1 for a first-place vote, 1/2
for a second-place vote, 1/3 for a third-place vote, that's just a variant
on the Borda count.  We (my student government) currently use Borda with
voters limited to ranking as many candidates as there is open seats. Neither
system is proportional, though they are better than at-large plurality.  In
fact, I can attest to that - I wouldn't have won a seat as an independent
(defeating one of the major establishment party candidates) had it not been
for the point weightings.