[EM] Student government - what voting system to recommend?

Tim Hull timhull2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 10:06:15 PDT 2007

I think that MMP variant creates the top-up party list based on the
strongest losers from each party and then does the rest as in standard MMP
by allocating seats based on parties.

I do wonder, though, how it would work if one did a non-party based variant
of MMP where a certain percentage of the legislature is constituency
representatives (possible 2/3) and the rest at-large, with the at-large
seats filled with the best overall losers by percentage of the vote..  This
would be a semi-proportional system, though I wonder how close to being
proportional it would in fact be.  One could simulate such a system based on
the real results of a legislature to see how it would work - I wonder how
this would change the makeup of, say, the UK or Canadian parliament or
Australian House of Representatives (the U.S. House probably wouldn't change
much based on current results, as the Democrats and Republicans constitute
some 97% of the overall vote and their numbers are already roughly
proportional).

Tim