[EM] Student government - what voting system to recommend?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Apr 24 20:44:51 PDT 2007

At 03:56 PM 4/24/2007, Juho wrote:
>On Apr 24, 2007, at 1:51 , Howard Swerdfeger wrote:
> > 4) The ultimate form of democracy is one that
> >  * maximizes voter knowledge of issues
> >  * seeks to Involve the voters at every stage of decision making
> > process   (direction, Discussion/deliberation, Vote)
>
>Agreed. These are some very key principles that make a democratic
>system work well.

Actually, while this is a common opinion, it is utterly impossible on
a large scale. It doesn't even work that way in fairly small direct
democracies.

To me, the key element in democracy is consent. Ideally, informed
consent, but that isn't always possible.

Think about it. I'm tired of repeating this stuff over and over,
besides, it's late and I have jury duty tomorrow. Somebody else can
explain it, if necessary.