[EM] Asset Voting vs STV

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Tue Apr 24 17:33:12 PDT 2007

On Apr 20, 2007, at 7:41 AM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> I'm just taking the opportunity to note the similarity between
> multiwinner STV and Asset Voting. With multiwinner STV the vote
> transfers are guided by user rankings, and in Asset Voting, by,
> essentially, a proxy chosen by the voter. They are really the same
> method, differing only in who provides the tranfer information.

If I understand Asset Voting (and I may not), there's more to it than
that. An important aspect of STV (without which is loses later-no-
help/harm, a critically important property, to my mind) is that, in
any given round, only the current top choice on each ballot is
considered.

One could, of course, allow a voter to fill out a truncated STV
ballot by indicating somehow that the remainder of the ballot should
follow an ordering specified by some third party (it could be my
favorite candidate, or my party, or any other appropriately
registered preference ordering). Such a variation would preserve
later-no-help/harm, but allow the voter to defer to the judgement of
a third party.