[EM] Student government - what voting system to recommend?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon Apr 23 12:34:16 PDT 2007

At 02:14 PM 4/23/2007, Juho wrote:
>Let's say that in the U.S. presidential elections roughly 48% of the
>voters vote D=9, R=7, PW=1 and roughly 48% vote R=9, D=7, PW=1.
>Either D or R wins.

The premise is utterly insane and, quite simply, not reasonable.
Range is difficult to analyze through the simplistic "this block
voted this way" kind of analysis we are accustomed to using for
election methods.

What has been presented here is an extremely close election.
Essentially, going into the election, it is a tossup who will win.
Note that by the premises there are *no* voters whom I would call
"Republican" or "Democrat" based on their votes. There are only swing
voters, voters where their preference for either major party is weak.
This bears utterly no resemblance to the real world. In the real
world, there is a set of voters who are dedicated party supporters,
and then there are other voters, perhaps the majority, who aren't so
nailed to a party. A minority, perhaps, would vote as described. And,
in fact, they are much more likely, I'd suggest, to rate a third
party candidate higher.

>  In the next elections the Democrats notice the
>possibility of strategic voting and advice their supporters to vote
>D=9, R=0, PW=0. In these elections Democrats win.

Again, we have a scenario in which there are no dedicated party
supporters, as shown by the initial votes. Yet, somehow, these voters
who really are on the fence (9 and 7 are both fairly strong votes for
a candidate), will suddenly obey, as a block, party discipline and
lie about their preferences in the next election. Remember, if they
rated the candidates honestly, they were happy with either outcome,
according to their votes. Where does the motivation come from to
change this position? I'd say that it would happen only if there was
massive dissatisfaction with a Republican winner.

Further, note that the PW candidate now gets zero from this group.
That's really not much different from the vote before. But it is
totally unnecessary. Why would these voters suddenly drop their
(small) support for the candidate with no chance to win? Remember,
it's Range. They do not threaten a front-runner by rating a third
party candidate or write-in higher than zero. If they voted as a
massive block, and rated him higher than the median, maybe. But that,
likewise, is quite unreasonable.

Basically, the premise behind these analyses, and we have seen them
many times regarding Range Voting, is that voters will express a weak
preference and then be ... shocked, absolutely shocked! ... that
their weak favorite is not elected. If they cared this much, why did
they express such a weak preference?

It's a contradiction, and it is blithely assumed as a condition of
the analysis. Hence the analysis is next to worthless.

It's about time that this be widely recognized. I can understand a
newbie coming across with this kind of argument, but Juho is not a
newbie. He should know better! Perhaps he was having a bad day....

>  In the third
>elections Republicans have learned a lesson and now recommend their
>voters to vote R=9, D=0, PW=0. Now the election is in balance again,
>but the method has in practice reduced to Approval (actually
>Plurality in this example).

Sure. But the premises are totally unrealistic. If you are going to
propose that Range will *reduce* to Approval, you will have to use
reasonably likely scenarios. It's fine, I'd suggest, to use
simplified voting patterns rather than the complex distributions that
would actually occur, but if you oversimplify them, and make it
appear that there are, for example, only two or three voting patterns
in a Range election, you then set up conditions to make it appear
that Range has reduced to Approval.

The fact is that if even the majority of voters bullet-vote, it has
not reduced to Approval. What this means, in fact, is that, if the
election is close, swing voters will decide it in a far more
sophisticated way than happens in plurality, and without the spoiler effect.

And if it *does*, under some difficult-to-anticipate circumstance,
reduce to Approval, that isn't a bad outcome!

>This strategy doesn't require the voters be rocket scientists.

That is correct. It requires them to be mindless robots, voting as
advised by party bosses.

>Probably the strategies would not spread as described above.

Duh! If this is "probably true," then why propose the scenario as
reasonable in the first place?

>  Maybe
>there just would be discussions between voters and in the media and
>all parties would be impacted in roughly same speed.

Or it would have no effect at all. In reality, party fanatics will
probably bullet-vote from the outset. And, let me suggest to you that
if a candidate advised voters to bullet vote instead of voting their
honest opinions (in a context where this is not going to spoil an
election), I'd consider that a strong disqualification. That
candidate would have just lost my vote, because he or she does not
understand democracy. And if the party advised this and the candidate
did not disavow it, ditto. I take democracy seriously, and so do many others.

>  In competitive
>elections it is quite possible that majority of voters would not stay
>"sincere" but would vote in Approval style.

Perhaps. But, by definition, this is a close election. And thus would
be decided, quite likely, by the voters who *do* vote more refined
range. If not, so what?

>  Once strategic voting
>becomes wide enough to be meaningful to the end result, voting
>sincerely could be commonly seen as "donating the victory to the
>strategists". A key property of this evolution process is that those
>parties and individuals that are strategic will have more voting
>power than others (this breaks the possible balance of having same
>percentage of strategic voters in each party).

What is being done here is to extrapolate from an unlikely scenario
to a vision of the future, as if that future were likely. It is
stated as if it were fact.

We do not in fact know how voters will vote in public elections using
Range. Warren is about the only person who has done research on this,
and his results, albeit constrained by the obvious limitations of his
study, indicate that voters will, at the outset, vote sincerely.
There is about to be, we think, more information coming from the
French elections, where it seems there is Range exit polling taking
place. But that is still polling.

Most of us think that Approval is an excellent first reform. Simple,
cheap, and fixes the first-order spoiler effect. We don't know
precisely how the electorate will use it, but the most likely initial
effect would be that voting would continue about the same as today
for most major-party supporters. However, those who are sympathetic
to a third party may start to approve third-party candidates as well.
Those whose preference is a third party will, in greater numbers,
vote for the candidate of that party plus their favorite among the
frontrunners.

Thus, perhaps, only a small number of votes will shift. But, quite
often, a crucial number of votes. We can expect an improvement in
outcomes if we simply stop tossing overvotes. Which was a bad idea
before its time, rooted in a very old error.

So, if somewhere Range is tried, and it turns out to reduce to
Approval, big whoop! Why this is advanced as an argument against
Range is beyond me. Particularly if the Range method is
low-resolution, such as Range 3. Range 2, of course, is Approval.

>I think the size of the election doesn't influence much on if voters
>become strategic. I think it is more like a balance of media / yellow
>press interest, strength of rumours, overall requirement of "good
>moral" in the society, and (maybe most importantly) the level of
>competitiveness in the elections in question.

I agree with most of this, however, I think that the competitiveness
of the election may have far less effect than Juho predicts. Most
voters are *not* party partisans! They tend to prefer one party or
the other, but a huge number, if you ask them, will describe
themselves as independent. If a party starts trying to tell these
voters what to do, it seriously risks losing their support!

No, voters will bullet vote if they have a serious preference, and
they aren't interested in any third party candidate at all. So?

(It can easily be argued that the optimum Range vote, if the voter
wants to amplify his effect to the maximum -- not all voters really
care about this -- is to rate your favorite among the front-runners
at max rating, the other front-runner at zero, and then other
candidates as they fall, it is mostly moot. If it is high-resolution
Range, like Range 100, or Range -10 to +10, which is quite detailed,
really, then you might slip the favorite frontrunner a notch if you
like, the effect, in Range 21, would be one-twentieth of a vote lost
to the favorite frontrunner. I recommend, instead, that Range methods
allow the specification of a Favorite, which is not used to determine
the winner. Except perhaps in a tie.... Favorite, instead, would be
used for ballot position, campaign funding, and for just plain
understanding how the voters stand. There are other ways that Range
could be structured, as well.)

I have also suggested that if the analysis of Range ballots shows
divergence between the Range winner and a Condorcet winner, a runoff
be held between the two. Some, seeing this, imagine that the outcome
of the runoff would be that the Condorcet winner would prevail. If
true, that's fine with me. However, it is much more likely to occur
that the voting public would take into account how everyone else
voted, and *might* vote to, instead, elect the Range winner. After
all, that is the winner who, the poll indicated, would maximize voter
satisfaction. How important is that to *you*?

Would you prefer to "win" if the winner made (almost) half the
population serious unhappy, and there was another winner who would
make *everyone* happy, and yourself *almost* as happy? To me, and to
many voters, I submit, the answer is obvious. Even if I bullet-voted
for the Condorcet winner in the full Range election.

To repeat it, what the kind of analysis of Range that Juho presented
does is to make two contradictory assumptions: voters don't really
care that much which of two candidates wins, and they will be
seriously unhappy if one of them wins. If they cared that much, why
in the world didn't they express that in their vote?