[EM] PR-STV and vote management

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Fri Apr 20 12:32:44 PDT 2007

At 11:51 AM 4/20/2007, raphfrk at netscape.net wrote:
> > And, yes, there may be a seat left vacant, where those holding the
> > remaining votes can't agree and compromise on some member.

>The problem is that if there is (almost) always 1 seat left vacant, then
>you are back to the Droop quota.  In an election with 10,000+ voters, I
>cannot see every single one of those votes being accounted for.

They can be if candidates register a default assignment that can be
revoked, and this assignment is delegable. You might notice that this
is Delegable Proxy :-)

If a loop is created by default assignments and the loop members all
disappear, yes, you'd have lost votes. But I would expect that to be
quire rare.

If it is really true that one seat would almost always be vacant,
then the solution is actually quite simple: add a seat. If everyone
agrees, whoopee! -- we have an extra legislator and *total*
representation. We'd hold a party to celebrate! Is total
representation worth the cost of an extra legislator?

Damn straight it is!

But, yes, it might not happen.

The effect of allowing the Droop quota is clear: there is less motive
to compromise, and legislators have voting power somewhat variant
from what the votes were. There are wasted votes, Droop practically
guarantees it.