[EM] PR-STV and vote management

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Fri Apr 20 08:51:03 PDT 2007

  Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
 > Fri Apr 20 07:55:43 PDT 2007
 > At 01:18 PM 4/19/2007, raphfrk at netscape.net wrote:
 > >I was thinking about an easier solution to the vote management problem.
 > >This is where it is sometimes in a party's interests to try to split
 > >their support
 > >equally between two candidate due to exhausted ballots. In effect, they
 > >get a candidate elected without a quota.
 >
 > In systems where there is discretion in vote reassignment, as with
 > Asset, I have recommended that the quota be the strict proportional
 > quota. For an assembly with N seats representing V voters, every seat
 > is elected V/N voters. Yes, not rounded off.
 >
 > And, yes, there may be a seat left vacant, where those holding the
 > remaining votes can't agree and compromise on some member.

 The problem is that if there is (almost) always 1 seat left vacant, then
 you are back to the Droop quota. In an election with 10,000+ voters, I
 cannot see every single one of those votes being accounted for.

 However, it does mean that with PR-STV there becomes some tactical effects
 in exhausting your vote. If you rank someone, then you are saying you
 would like to help them get elected (assuming that everyone higher on
 the ballot has been elected or eliminated). Under the standard rules,
 you are not making any claim about what candidates you want to get
 elected, you are just ranking them. In effect, you would rank
 candidates until you hit a candidate who you would prefer an empty
 seat to him being elected.

    Raphfrk
 Interesting site
 "what if anyone could modify the laws"