[EM] PR in student government...

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 14:55:42 PDT 2007

Tim Hull> Sent: 16 April 2007 17:30
> As a result, I'm looking at proportional representation
> systems - and possibly introducing one as a ballot initiative
> for next year. However, I have experienced great trouble in
> finding a system that people like.  Single Transferable Vote
> seems ideal, but it has the drawback of being complex (and,
> as a result, hard for people to comprehend).  Party lists are
> simpler, but they force voters to support an entire party -
> not ideal at all.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

STV-PR is the only voting system that makes any real sense in the
situation you describe.  The principles of STV-PR are extremely easy to
explain.  There are several different accepted methods of counting the
votes, and they do, in some circumstances, give small differences in the
results.  The important point is to choose one of the valid sets of
recognised rules (with a clear and unambiguous wording) and stick to
them.  Make sure you avoid all of the corrupted versions, eg
"simplified" versions with no transfers of surpluses.   The principles
of any of the counts are not difficult to explain.   None of the
arithmetic (long division, long multiplication and decimal fractions),
except Meek STV, is beyond the last year of Primary School (age 11
years).

STV-PR is extremely easy to implement.  Student organisations in many UK
universities and colleges have computerised the preferential voting
(through a secure student portal).  There are open source computer
programs readily available that will count the ballot data according to
any of the versions of the rules that have ever been dreamed up.
James Gilmour