[EM] New candidate based PR methods...

Howard Swerdfeger electorama.com at howard.swerdfeger.com
Mon Apr 16 11:19:42 PDT 2007

Sorry if this comes twice, I got an error the first time

> Has anyone here looked into candidate-based methods of proportional
> representation besides Single Transferable Vote? I'm just curious, as I
> haven't heard of many such methods - especially compared with the multitude
> of single-winner election methods.  By "candidate-based methods", I mean
> methods where voters vote for (or rank) candidates, and those votes/ranks
> alone determine the winner and not party affiliations/outside
> bargaining/etc. I have heard of proportional approval voting (and
> sequential
> PAV), as well as reweighted range voting (basically its range voting
> equivalent).  However, I haven't heard of much else in this realm.

There is MMP with Best looser top up, and "Regional Open List"
and

MMP with Best looser top up:
Basically, after all the the Single member ridings are allocated. you
allocate extra seats based on party affiliation.
but rather then starting at the top of the party list, you take the
party candidate with the most votes in his riding that also lost his riding.

Open Regional List :