[EM] PR in student government...

Bob Richard electorama at robertjrichard.com
Mon Apr 16 09:56:27 PDT 2007

Tim and all,

Among colleges and universities adopting proportional or
semi-proportional systems, STV is the overwhelming favorite.  If
students at (for example) Lane Community College in Eugene, Oregon can
figure it out, then students at the University of Michigan probably can
too.

The (alleged) complexity of STV is entirely a matter of the counting
process; the task for the voter is actually very simple.  Having said
that, the conventional ways of explaining the count invariably lose
audiences, and we need to learn how to present it better.

If you currently had district elections (from dormitories or
neighborhoods), you could propose mixed member proportional (MMP).  But
that doesn't sound like your situation.

Bob Richard
Publications Director
Californians for Electoral Reform