[EM] Portuguese dictator should be the greatest portuguese?

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 7 13:51:37 PDT 2007

Some quick and short comments.

On Apr 7, 2007, at 4:04 , ricben at clix.pt wrote:

> The problem is, besides the Plurality criteria, that in the last
> weeks before the end of the telephone voting there were some
> newspaper rumors that AS and AC were going to win the election, so
> everyone believes this caused a rush of AS and AC suporters in the
> last days to vote against each others candidate, and at the same
> time distort the overall result.

- Your case seems to me like a typical single winner election or
opinion poll
- I'm sure most people on this list agree that Plurality is not a
good method for this case
- Plurality is quite vulnerable to the described type of information
leak and other similar strong propaganda. There are methods that are
more resistant to it.

> Initially I tested these using the Borda method

- Most people on this list probably agree that Borda is no good for
this election

> 1) Which voting method would be best for this specific election?

- On good answer is to use Condorcet based methods
- Range would be good for pure polls, but doesn't really work well in
competitive elections (some list members disagree with this)
- Approval is a close relative of Range but simpler and works quite ok
- IRV is hated by many; it works in some sense but doesn't value
compromise candidates much

Since you already collected ranking data I recommend to use some
Condorcet method as a starting point and basic reference. (Listen to
others for further steps and proposals.)

> 2) 3) 4) 4) 5)

No comments. For me these were already too detailed and focused of
some very specific viewpoints.

> 6) I couldn’t find any books or papers focusing on these doubts.
> Any recommendations?

I don't know. I'd start from wiki.

Juho Laatu