[EM] Fwd: proxies Was Mae West

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Mon Apr 9 08:47:06 PDT 2007

 Was auto-unsubscribed for some reason, so this is a resend.

 From: raphfrk at netscape.net

 > On 4/2/07, Howard Swerdfeger <electorama.com at howard.swerdfeger.com> wrote:
 > > 1.)
 > > I became aware of proxy democracy over a year ago. I find it interesting
 > > from a intellectual standpoint. I think it could make a fine democratic
 > > system. However, I do not believe the the people of the world are
 > > anywhere near ready to implement/accept such a system. I think it would
 > > be most useful to medium to large size groups or organizations for now.
 > > In the mean time I feel no obligation to promote "proxy democracy" as I
 > > am most interested in democratic reform at the provincial/Country level,
 > > and I feel "proxy democracy" will not achievable or acceptable to the
 > > people for many many years, with many changes to our democracy between
 > > now and then. I prefer to focus on the next evolutionary step.
 >
 > Do you agree that some good might come if people on different sides of
 > an issue would talk to each other?
 >
 > If so, consider creating a River Province Open Forum, which would be
 > an FA/DP. To the people of your province, it might seem like just
 > another discussion group. What would be possibly unique about it are
 > that it would be neutral on all issues, and welcome participants from
 > all sides of an issue, and it would also be very general in scope,
 > i.e. any issue that might be related to what the provincial government
 > does or how the government is structured would be on-topic for the
 > forum. Also, there would be a proxy list.  <recommendation to setup a neutral forum> > (Perhaps newcomers should be
 > encouraged to choose a proxy about a week after they join, so they can
 > continue to be represented even if they go inactive. It's typical that
 > only about 10% of newsgroup members are "active" in any sense.) And
 > there should be some mechanism for conducting polls.

  I think it would be hard for newcommers to select a proxy. Also, they
 likely would consider it providing them no benefit. After 1 week, would
 they really know enough about the other members to pick a proxy? On the
 other hand, if the forum was specifically setup with that in mind so
 people knew it would be required, then there would likely be less
 resistance. I wonder if a possible solution would be to automatically assign proxy
 and then allow the user to opt out. For example, there could be a system
 where users can rate posts in the forum. For example, "strongly agree,
 agree, neutral, disagree, strongly disagree". If the new user marks
 say 5 of a single poster's posts as agree or strongly agree, then the
 system would recommend that the user selects that poster as his proxy. The user would obviously have the ability to completely override the
 system if that is what he wished. However, the idea would be to make
 it so that the user wouldn't want to as they system tends to give
 effective proxy links. Also, the system could give an estimate on what the user would think
 of a specific post. The user could then make adjustments as needed.
 As time passes the system should be trained better. This could even be recursive. If you rate lots of posts as "agree"
 then the system could probably figure out what other posters you
 would agree with based on how other people rated the posts. This would lead to fractional proxies. Each user would in effect give
 other users proxy scores from say, 0 to 10. The user's vote would then
 be split in proportion to the score they give to any proxies with the
 max vote being limited by the score granted. For example, if I rate proxies as A: 7
 B: 10
 C: 1
 D: 2 and A, C and D vote, then my vote is split