[EM] 3ballot - revolutionary new protocol for secure secret ballot elections

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Fri Sep 29 16:12:17 PDT 2006

I'm not sure about rankings, but Warren's extension to ratings is neat and
straightforward.

Rivest mentions that his three ballot checker machine would have to
enforce the single-vote plurality rules as an extra check that could just
be removed, losing nothing of the benefits of three-ballot.

Also, just as Approval is a two value rating summation system, three
ballot extends naturally when moving beyond two values of rating.

Rivest explains at one point that the candidates all get between n and 2n
marks for n voters. The traditional "vote" count is the counted marks
minus n. In the same fashion, Warren has extended the ballot so that all
candidates get between r*n and 2*r*n rating vote for a max rating of r and
n voters. Subtract off r*n and you have the secure rating vote. Cool, huh?

http://rangevoting.org/Rivest3B.html

The down side is that since this directly accomplishes summation of the
ratings, per-ballot-rating methods such as IRNR and raking-derivation to
Borda or Condorcet/VRR are not possible.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/